Bathroom floods aren’t easy or pleasant to deal with. A flood can easily ruin your bathroom fixtures, carpets, and even enter hallways and attached rooms. The problem should be handled quickly and efficiently because a bathroom is an essential part of your property. At SPS Plumbers, we suggest you call our number immediately after you notice the flood. While our emergency plumber
is on his way, you can work to minimise the damage as much as possible.
The First Steps
A flooded bathroom needs to be handled carefully. You shouldn’t attempt to repair the problem yourself unless you are a plumber by profession and have received formal training to handle such situations. Here’s what you need to do:
- The first step is to immediately shut off the electrical supply to your bathroom. As you might know, water and electricity can be dangerous together. If you have access to the main switch for your bathroom, switch it off.
- Keep your children and older people from your family away from the bathroom because the water might contain biohazards and germs that might harm their health.
- If you have rain boots, wear them before you venture into the bathroom.
- You need to turn off the main water valve. If you dont know how, our plumber will guide you on the phone. It’s usually located near the water meter on your property.
- If you have an isolation valve in your bathroom that cuts off access to all fixtures, turn it off.
- You can also turn off the individual valves attached to the fixtures like wash basins, toilets, bathtubs, etc.
- Do not flush an overflowing drain and toilet. That would only worsen the situation.
What Will We Do?
As the water can no longer reach the bathroom, you don’t have to fear that the flood would get worse. At this point, you can just sit back and wait for our plumber to arrive.
- Our first step is to clear the flooded bathroom of water so we can work more efficiently. We will use specialized pumps to direct water away from the bathroom and dispose it safely.
- The next step is to determine the cause of the flood. In most cases, it’s one of three causes; a malfunction in a tap or toilet, clogs in the drains or toilets, and accidents like the tap or bathtub pipe left open.
- Once we determine the cause, we’ll explain the situation to you, provide an accurate quote, and conduct the repairs upon approval.
So, if you have a flooded bathroom, you don’t need to worry or panic. Just give us a call and we will help. If you have any questions about our services for flooded bathrooms or want a free no-obligation quote, just get in touch with us at SPS Plumbers. Our number is (02) 9072 0760 and our email is [email protected]
. You can also fill in the contact us form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.